I’m really into make-aheads this year. Time and sanity savers! Visiting Dream Dinners inspired me to see what else I can prep and store ahead of time for our family. I have a little collection of ideas I’m going to be sharing with you!
First up… make-ahead oatmeal in a jar! Sometimes known as “no-cook oatmeal,” and even “summer porridge.” I saw recipes for this online and there are many ways to do it… but basically it’s just throwing ingredients in a jar and letting it sit overnight. Here’s my version of Cinnamon-Apple Oatmeal, using the handy snack packs of Earth’s Best KIDZ Organic applesauce! These little applesauce packs are great for adding to recipes to cut sugar!
- 1 glass jelly jar
- 1/4 cup oatmeal (not the quick cook, instant kind!)
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey, or to taste
- 1/4 cup Earth's Best applesauce (about 1/2 a Kidz snack container)
- Take glass jelly jar and fill it with ingredients in the order listed.
- Do not stir.
- Screw on lid and place in refrigerator overnight. (Good the 2nd day too!).
- Open, stir, enjoy!
- Double, triple, etc. for more servings
- I prefer whole milk yogurt, strained, or Greek yogurt
- You could substitute maple syrup for the honey
- Try using flavored yogurts instead of the applesauce / cinnamon, but just double the yogurt.
My verdict? I enjoyed this breakfast. The oatmeal is a little chewy, and you may find it weird to eat cold oatmeal. But the milk/yogurt makes it a creamy breakfast, and the applesauce gives the sweetness I like in the morning!
Do you think you or your kids would like this recipe? Have you tried this before?
This post was written as part of the Earth’s Best Blogger program. I was provided product samples to facilitate this post, and may be eligible for additional blogger rewards. All opinions are 100% my own.