Every breastfeeding mother needs to feel like she can still LOOK good while breastfeeding.
This spring I went through my closet and was amazed at all the clothing I had not worn in two years – one year pregnant and one year nursing! I had all these nice clothes that went to waste for two years – and from sitting in the closet, many were misshapen, faded, or just simply very out of style.
I hope it doesn’t sound shallow, but one negative aspect of breastfeeding for me (especially when nursing frequently), was feeling like I had to wear ONE style of clothing. Having to struggle with clothing is definitely a deterrent to successful breastfeeding. At a time when new moms are already be struggling with health, tiredness, body image issues post-pregnancy, etc., who needs to also feel frumpy!?
The truth is, stocking up on nursing clothing was not even on my mind when I was pregnant and preparing to breastfeed. I figured if I had a nursing bra or two, I would be fine. I thought as soon as I lost the baby weight, I’d be back into my regular clothing… But! I didn’t anticipate my regular clothing wouldn’t work for breastfeeding. I had a lot of dresses with boat neck tops, or pullover tops without stretchy necks, etc. So I wound up scrambling for clothing suitable for nursing in public… or even just looking nice around the house. I ended up with a small stack of tops that actually worked for nursing and wore them over and over until they about crumbled into dust!
I think even in the past year I have breastfed, nursing clothing has gotten the hint – WE WANT TO LOOK NICE when we breastfeed! Because I am seeing so many more fun styles and prints for breastfeeding mamas!
Here’s what I wish the fashion industry would know about breastfeeding moms:
1. Tank top makers – puh-leeease make nursing tanks where the under layer does not get all bunchy!
2. Stretchy necklines can turn any top into a nursing top… utilize frequently and we’ll all be happy!
3. Long Dresses – they don’t have to be mini dresses just because I’m nursing. Can we get some maxi or longer dresses that ALSO have nursing openings? Thanks!
4. Prints? Why are the majority of nursing tops solid? It’s like an epidemic. Moms are pretty much going to wear these tops for only about a year, I’d bet, so it’s okay to put out some trendy prints!
5. The nursing turtleneck. Does anybody make this? I would love to know, because I am a big turtleneck fan that had to fore-go ALL winter this year!
While I’m no fashion maven, I do enjoy nice clothing and pulling together a good look. I’ve been blest to test-drive several brands/styles of nursing clothing for this year’s Latch On! Event… I love each piece, and can’t WAIT for the next baby so I can utilize them on a more regular basis (fashion and breastfeeding gets easier the less your child nurses)! I hope you find new brands and styles you like, so you don’t have to feel less than your best while you’re doing something so wonderful for your baby!
How did you manage style/fashion while breastfeeding? Did you find it to be a struggle? Did you use your regular clothing or purchase nursing tops? Would love to hear your experiences!