I may have mentioned my Italian heritage a few times before? Well, sausage and peppers is one quintessential Italian dish my husband happens to love (even though he is not Italian). I decided to play around with this classic on a new canvas: Rice!
That’s right – I created an Italian Sausage and Pepper RIce Bowl Stir recipe which came out amazing! And so easy! Because I have learned, the best way to get real food onto the table, is to choose recipes that are quick and easy AND taste great!
Remember last month when I shared my yummy Cashew Chicken Rice Bowl Stir Recipe? (My toddler still walks around going “Ka-SHEW Chicken” all the time!). Well, Della Rice challenged me to create ANOTHER Stir, so I had to visit my Italian roots and see how they do rice in Italy.
Della Rice is non-GMO and comes in so many varieties including Jasmine, Basmatic, Brown, Light Brown, and a yummy Jasmine with Garlic! Oh boy – that last one said “ITALIAN” to me loud and clear!
The best part is, using Della Jasmine with Garlic rice as the canvas, hubby and I got to choose the toppings we loved best: he went the traditional route with sweet Italian pork sausage, peppers, and onions. But I did something a little unconventional, topping my rice with spicy chicken sausage, peppers, roasted garlic and Kalamata olives! Both of us used the red tomato sauce to bring out more flavor. I also tried a bit of balsamic reduction on my chicken sausage, which was sweet and tasty.
Here’s the recipe – I actually cooked and served several toppings in the same large pan to save on dishes. If you just leave each ingredient in its own section, the pan becomes a serving dish!
Italian Sausage and Pepper RIce Bowl Stir Recipe
- 3 cups Della Jasmine Rice with Garlic, steamed
- 3 Italian sausage links
- 3 spicy chicken sausage links
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup roasted garlic (get at the deli)
- 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- In large saute pan, brown sausage links until partially cooked through. Remove from pan onto cutting board. Drain grease.
- Add onions and peppers to the pan, being sure to keep them separate (you may need a bit of olive oil at this point). Saute over medium heat.
- While vegetables are cooking, slice sausages into half inch segments. Make room for them in the pan, and add back in to finish cooking.
- When everything is mostly cooked through, pour the can of tomato sauce into the middle of pan. Then add a half cup of water.
- Simmer until everything is thoroughly cooked and flavors meld.
- Put garlic and olives into a serving bowl.
- To serve: Scoop a generous cup of rice into a plate or bowl. Select your toppings from the saute pan, plus add garlic pieces and olives if desired.
I hope you enjoy this rice bowl stir recipe as much as we did in our family! Mangia bene!
Create A Stir of your own and WIN!
There’s still time to WIN a Rice Cooker (it adds so much convenience to dinner time prep!) in the #CreateAStir contest! It’s a super simple entry via Rafflecopter!! For complete rules and to enter, click here.
Find Della Rice online and at ShopRite stores!