I know, I know, I just shared an AMAZING Sea Salt and Caramel Apple Crisp recipe with you earlier this week… but it IS apple season. And apple crisp is awesome.
AND… this version of apple crisp is super-stellar too! (and healthy!). So, I decided even though it’s an old post from October 2013, I’d pull it from the archives and reshare with you all. Because maybe you’ve never seen it before! I can’t have you missing out on any yummy apple/fall goodness, can I!?
So… several years ago, hubby and I had the chance to attend a Whole Foods farm-to-table dinner. This was a first experience for us. How exciting to see local growers take small spaces in the city and grow organic produce!!
My favorite dish of the night was the dessert – a butternut squash and apple bake. This was a novel concept for me! The taste was slightly different than a regular apple crisp, but not so strange as to be startling. I liked it so much I thought I’d try it at home. I’ve made plenty of apple crisp in my time, so I figured it’d be easy to turn my regular crisp into a squash crisp. One problem: I didn’t have a squash!
Never fear! I substituted sweet potato to create a Sweet Potato Apple Crisp!
This Sweet Potato Apple Crisp is an award-winner!
I made this recipe to bring to my local MOPS group meeting’s breakfast potluck… and! It won the first Silver Spoon award for best recipe of the day! YAY!
So I’m sharing the recipe here because it really is delicious! I’ve made it several times since first posting this recipe on the blog and it continues to be delicious! The best part is that THIS particular version of “crisp” is also vegan and gluten free! Yay! (Of course, you can deviate and use butter and add flour, but… it tastes awesome like this, so WHY!?).
Vegan Gluten Free Sweet Potato Apple Crisp Recipe
- 4 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2" cube minimum!)
- 4 large apples, peeled, cored, and cubed (1/2"-1")
- 4T brown sugar
- 2 T cinnamon
- Crisp Topping:
- 1-1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup gluten-free flour (whatever you use for baking/pancakes, etc)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup butter substitute (I used Earth Balance), melted
- 1 carton non-dairy, vegan whipped topping
- Grease a 9x13 baking dish and then spread sweet potatoes on the bottom. Layer apples on top.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over all.
- Crisp Topping:
- Blend together dry ingredients. Then add melted butter substitute. Mix well.
- Crumble by hand over top of apples and potatoes until top is evenly covered.
- Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Serve warm with whipped topping.
- Can be reheated.
I put the potatoes on the bottom so they cook through, and so the apples don't get mushy. I made this with butter substitute, but you can use regular butter (same amount) if you're not vegan. (Also regular whipped cream if not vegan).
Perfect for breakfast OR dessert!
There you have it! Yes, I served it for breakfast at our MOPS meeting, but it could easily be a dessert as crisps usually are served.
I didn’t get a photo after the Sweet Potato Apple Crisp was cooked – it just didn’t last that long! 🙂
Have you ever tried mixing veggies with fruit!? Or having dessert for breakfast?
PIN THIS–>> to your Gluten Free, Vegan, Real Food or Dessert Pinterest board to make sure you try this out later!