Tips for Camping with a Baby!
1. Bring Netting – no this isn’t my wedding veil, it’s a large screen for keeping the bugs away. You could make do with yards of tulle from any fabric store, but baby stores sell heavy duty mosquito netting with elastic around the edges. You can stretch this netting over just about anything – car seats, strollers, yourself! And it works much better!
5. Keep Dry – As a dear friend’s daughter once informed us: “You sweat, you die!” Well, that probably won’t happen on a family camping trip, but it’s generally good survival advice. If baby is damp he won’t be comfortable and could catch cold. Don’t take damp clothing off inside the tent as the moisture will have nowhere to go, and will condense at night most likely under your sleeping bag (and under whatever baby is asleep on top of).
Now you’re ready to go camping with your baby!
Camping with a baby certainly brings its share of challenges. I recall trying to breastfeed in the tent on a billowy air mattress (not very stable), to hand-washing cloth diapers in a bucket (seriously, just get these instead for your trip). Then there was the “flash-flood” lightening storm episode! We have weathered it all, and while it was work, I am happy for those memories and experiences. If you love camping or want to try camping and have babies, don’t let that discourage you! Just follow these tips for camping with an infant and you’ll be fine!
Read more Camping Posts:
- How to make camping comfortable for babies
- The Bad Thing About Camping Is…
- The Baby Camping Survival Guide
- Camping and Cloth Diapering
- Picture Books about Camping
Shop for your next camping trip with baby!
Here’s all the gear you might need!
KidCo Peapod, Cranberry[2 Pack] Baby Mosquito Nets for Strollers, Carriers, Car Seats, Cradles, Fits Most PacknPlays, Cribs, Bassinets & Playpens, Soft Durable Insect Shield Netting, Babies Fly Screen Protection (White)Summer Infant Pop and Sit Portable Booster, Green/GreyThinkbaby Safe Sunscreen SPF 50+, 3ozBadger Baby Sunscreen SPF 30+ and Face StickHappy Camper Camping Outdoor Baby Girls/Boys BodysuitsThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn: A BabyLit® Camping PrimerForest BabyGood Night Campsite (Good Night Our World)
Anyone else been camping with a baby? What other advice/tips would you add? Please comment below. Thanks!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.