Regarding breastfeeding… I wish I would have known:
- That it could hurt so much (although maybe I wouldn’t have tried).
- That it could hurt so much for SO LONG! (see above)
- That lanolin products could create an allergic reaction (yes, I got pins and needles whenever I applied lanolin-based balms).
- That it was okay to use a bottle sometimes, to save myself some pain, get some sleep, etc.
- That pumping for an entire day to save myself some pain was okay too.
- That some people (including MEN) insist on asking me to my face if I am breastfeeding. Please don’t do that. It’s first of all not your business, and second of all, super awkward. If you need to know, have your wife ask me.
- That people would then ask “Are you STILL breastfeeding?” Unless you’re related to me, or a personal girlfriend (or blog friend), why do you really need to know?
- That my entire wardrobe would change to accommodate breastfeeding comfort. (I got a few things, but quickly realized nearly NOTHING I owned was suitable for easy nursing).
- That there were breastfeeding specialists available to help. (I would have gone to one ASAP instead of waiting until week 8).
- That there are awesome nursing clothes out there, (like Bravado, Milk Nursing Wear, Japanese Weekend, and MilkStars… and probably more I don’t know about but would love to try!)
What do you wish you’d known about breastfeeding?