Another year, another round of family traditions. Getting the tree, visiting local lights. One spot if you love lights and sparkles is the Holiday Lights event at Lake Compounce in Bristol, Connecticut.
2016 Holiday Lights at Lake Compounce
We’ve been to the event in previous years, and were grateful that this year the weather was just cold and not freeze-your-toes-off! Holiday Lights returned to Lake Compounce for its fifth season this year! Guests can visit Fridays-Sundays each weekend until Dec 18th. Fridays 5-9 p.m.; Saturdays and Sundays 4-9 p.m.
A new addition this year was the tallest Christmas Tree in Connecticut! This thing is HUGE! I couldn’t even fit it all in my photos! At 100 feet tall and with over 700,000 sparkling lights, this tree is visible from all around the park, making it a lovely addition to the event.
Festive activities at Holiday Lights include:
- Nightly tree lighting event with special guests (at opening)
- Spectacular Light Show at the main gate – every half hour
- Kiddieland rides and family themed attractions
- North Pole Railway – take The Train out around the Lake for a fantastic view of the park lit up and also many light displays along the way. Bundle up! You’ll listen to holiday music and the Conductor will tell you a story. It’s a long ride, so if you have room, bring a blanket to bundle up!
- Ice Carver creates frozen sculptures
- Carolers stroll the park (I did not see them!)
- Mrs. Clause’s Story Time (Kiddieland stage)
- Indoor activities – cookie decorating, letters to Santa, gingerbread house making, and many photo opportunities with costumed characters!
While you’re there, you can shop at several open gift stores, warm up by outdoor fire pits and heat lamps, or order a “bottomless” cup of coffee/cocoa/cider when you get the commemorative travel mug (Just $8 for the night!). Many Connecticut Food trucks are also stationed throughout the park so you can enjoy treats of all kinds from:
- Deb’s Cafe
- Chunky Tomato Pizzeria
- Spuds Your Way
- and more!
Our kids had fun going on the Kiddieland rides – they are finally BOTH old enough to ride them, and even let Mommy sneak onto a few with them! They now know how much I LOVE dizzy, twirly rides (I do!) and how much Daddy does NOT!
- Adults – $15.99 plus tax (at the gate)
- Seniors & Children 4-10 – $10.99 plus tax
- Children under 3 – FREE
Get $11.99 tickets by ordering online with my coupon code: HappyStrongHomeHLBlog17
What other local Connecticut events do you attend to celebrate Christmas?
We received free admission in exchange for posting about this event. All opinions are 100% my own.