Have a Labor Day picnic coming up and not sure what to bring? Here’s a unique type of dish that will certainly have guests talking. It’s pretty, healthful, and makes a great conversation starter!
My sister in law turned me on to this yummy salad (I actually hadn’t really enjoyed quinoa before I tried her version!). I made this recipe for my mother’s Young Marrieds picnic a few weeks ago – we had leftovers (as usually it’s not something people take a lot of, more of a small side) and it kept well for several days, making for yummy lunches for myself and hubby!
|Quick Red Quinoa|
- 1 cup red quinoa (regular will work too but isn’t as spectacular!)
- 1 small finely diced red onion
- 1 diced pepper (green, red, orange)
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup thin-sliced baby carrot (rounds)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (or try pecans or almonds) – toast if desired
- 2 T Olive Oil
- 1 lemon zested and juiced
- Fresh basil thinly sliced
- Salt (optional)
- Bring water to a boil, then add quinoa. Reduce to simmer for 10 minutes or according to package directions. When tender (don’t overcook it will get mushy), drain excess water. You can even rinse under cool water to stop cooking process and quickly cool.
- Once cooled add in remaining ingredients and lightly mix until distributed evenly.
- Chill and serve.
Really any vegetables seem to do well for this salad. Try broccoli, cauliflower, summer squash. Make it crispy and colorful!
PS: Since quinoa is technically a berry not a grain, this can be a gluten-free recipe!
What’s your favorite picnic food? Your go-to recipe for a get-together?