Mediterranean Chicken Sausage has become a staple in my cooking rotation. I usually make a menu plan for the month (or sometimes just the next week!). But if I don’t plan ahead enough I find myself with a few “days between menu plans.” Ha ha! Know what I mean?! So I have a couple “go-to” meals that are fast and easy and everybody likes! al fresco asked me to try out their fully cooked chicken sausage this month and when I did, I knew this delicious recipe was going to get filed in my “go-to” meals bank! This Mediterranean Chicken Sausage recipe (over zoodles!) is just that yummy and simple!
Salvage Those Between-Meal-Plans Days
Meal planning really does save our family time and money. It frees up brain space for me, and allows my shopping trips to get done faster. When I meal plan, I can easily prep dinner when the kids are playing without staring endlessly into the pantry abyss. Or, (you’re gonna love this one, moms), I can leave out the prepped ingredients with some cooking instructions and hubby will pop everything into the oven for me so I can run errands before dinner. (Yep, that’s my fave!).
However, as I said, there are times when I don’t get my NEXT meal plan ready in time, or I haven’t done the shopping for it yet. Or… I just don’t feel like having what was on the menu! Ever had nights like that?
I salvage those between-meal-plans days by having a short list of easy go-to recipes that taken only a few ingredients and minimal prep.
Elements of a Go-To Recipe
Here’s what I consider the key elements of a go-to recipe:
- Less than 5 ingredients (healthy ones!)
- Low-prep, meaning, not a lot of chopping, seasoning, or pre-cooking involved
- Easy clean up, meaning, not a lot of dishes used
My Mediterranean Chicken Sausage recipe over Zoodles fits those elements! Here’s how:
I used al fresco chicken sausage is fully cooked, so I don’t worry about undercooked meat. The sausages cook up quickly in about three minutes on each side. Grill stripes look always fabulous, don’t they!?
Dinner also has to taste DELICIOUS! Using al fresco’s fully cooked chicken sausage in Spinach and Feta flavor (with a hint of rosemary), this recipe is flavorful without effort. The chicken sausage flavors pair nicely with the fresh zucchini and tomato sides. Adding olives, lemon, and extra feta cheese toppings echoes and highlights the delicious sausage.
Plus, al fresco uses no additives or preservatives. Only all natural ingredients makes it a great choice for a healthy weeknight meal. Except for the dairy in this flavor, I could’ve eaten this on the Whole30 diet we did last month! I’ll be using al fresco’s other flavors for our next cleanse diet.
We love chicken but sometimes tire of the same old chicken breast dinner. There’s only so many ways you can slice, chop, and season boneless, skinless chicken breast, ya know? I can substitute al fresco chicken sausages in nearly all my favorite chicken meals, making it faster and easier to cook our favorites with a new twist!
It’s easy to pick up all the ingredients for this meal at my local Stop & Shop. They carry a large selection of al fresco chicken sausage and other products, plus the fresh veggies I need to complete this recipe.
Now… for the recipe!
Mediterranean Chicken Sausage Recipe (over Zoodles!)
- 2 packages al fresco Feta and Spinach Chicken Sausage
- 2 20-oz cartons zoodles (zucchini noodles)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, rinsed
- 1/4 cup roasted garlic cloves
- 2 T olive oil
- fresh lemon zest
- 1/2 cup sliced Kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Heat a large nonstick grill pan to medium high heat.
- Slice each chicken sausage in half, lengthwise (you can do this ahead or while pan is heating).
- Place chicken sausage, rounded side down, on the pan. Grill for 3-4 minutes or until you get a nice grill mark. If sausage smokes, turn heat down slightly.
- Flip your sausages to the cut side, and grill 3-4 minutes. Add whole cherry tomatoes to the grill pan and let roast alongside the sausages. When sausage is done, turn off heat and toss roasted garlic cloves onto pan to warm through.
- While the sausage finishes grilling, heat a large saute pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Place zoodles in pan and saute on high heat for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Turn off heat so the zucchini doesn’t overcook.
- Plate your Mediterranean Chicken Sausage with Zoodles dish either family style or individually by creating a bed of zoodles, topping with grilled sausage, and nestling tomatoes and garlic pieces along the sides.
- Top with a teaspoon of sliced kalamata olives, a tablespoon of Feta cheese crumbles, and a sprinkle of fresh lemon zest.
- Serve immediately!
- Makes 4-6 servings.
We love this recipe served over zoodles (zucchini noodles), because we’re striving to reduce gluten in our diet. And, zoodles are SO fast to saute! However, if zoodles aren’t your thing, swap in your favorite pasta (cooking time will be longer because you’ll have to boil water).
Mediterranean Chicken Sausage Dinner is Served!
Fast, easy, and healthy is how I prefer to get dinner on the table on busy nights. When I’m pressed for a quick dinner idea, I run to the store for everything I need to get dinner on without stress!
Thanks to al fresco for providing products and compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.