The boys rush down the stairs each morning, and nearly want to skip breakfast… all so they can get outdoors as soon as possible!
It’s hilarious to me how the shift in weather has completely shifted their play expectations! And I for one couldn’t be happier! And it’s not like my kids really NEED outdoor activity ideas, but… here’s what we’ve been enjoying!
20 Outdoor Activities for Preschoolers
- Bubbles – quintessential outdoor fun!
- Squirt guns – cool off!
- Gardening – give them a space and let them have at it. Or show them how to plant seeds and seedlings
- Dinosaur digging – bury some plastic dinosaurs in the garden and have them excavate
- Bike riding – classic!
- Sidewalk Chalk drawing
- Building blocks – bring some building supplies outdoors (blocks or cardboard boxes)
- Sensory Nature Walks
- Backyard picnics
- Farm visits
- Park trips
- Neighborhood walks
- Outdoor painting or art
- Play running games like Red Light, Green Light or Red Rover, Red Rover if you have a lot of kids
- Bug Hunt
- Have a car wash with toy cars
- Water balloon fights!
- Basketball (use any kind of bin or basket!)
- Treasure hunt
- Visit a Splash Pad
- Fly a kite
- Roll down a hill
Do you have outdoor activity ideas for preschoolers and older kids to share!?
Another way to engage kids outdoors is by creating an Outdoor Game Spot!
Fill a corner of your yard, deck, or patio with engaging toys that encourage kids to play outdoors! Find out how we created our outdoor game spot in my guest post on the Melissa & Doug blog!