I have a very eclectic palate, and enjoy trying out various cuisines from around the world. And I love tempting my boys to try new dishes by attempting some of these dishes at home, like the easy Cashew Chicken Rice Bowl Stir recipe we just had this week!
We do enjoy Asian foods like Chinese, Thai, and Vietnamese. However, when dining out at restaurants, you don’t have any control over how much salt, sugar, or fats are put into your dishes. So I always like to try my hand recreating restaurant dishes at home, when I can.
After being on the Whole30 eating plan for a month, I really developed a love for cashews. When Della Rice asked me to Create a Stir using their non-GMO rice, I immediately decided I wanted to try a Cashew Chicken Rice Bowl Stir. And, if you wanted to make a cultural event out of it, you could make this dish in time for Chinese New Year, which is coming up soon!
This Stir recipe came together so much more simply than I imagined! I always thought it would be difficult to create an Asian-inspired meal at home, but even without a wok, I cooked up the main dish in the same time it took the rice to steam!
First, you’re going to want to toast the cashews to bring out the flavor. Simply turn your stovetop on low heat and place a layer of nuts in the bottom of a stainless steel pan. Let toast slowly, shaking or stirring the nuts regularly so they don’t burn. You don’t want them to get brown spots, just to heat slowly until you can smell that nutty fragrance. The toasting really brings out the flavor! Remove from heat into a bowl to await the last step.
Put your favorite rice into your rice cooker – I used Della Basmati rice because it’s fluffy and fragrant! Then create your main dish.
Easy Cashew Chicken Rice Bowl Stir Recipe
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 4 chicken breasts, halved and then sliced into bite-sized strips
- 4 peppers (red and green looks nice), seeded and chopped into large pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 3-5 T cooking oil (you'll need a high heat kind like avocado)
- 2-3 T Hoisin Sauce
- Della Basmati Rice (enough for your family
- Begin by setting rice to steam in a rice cooker.
- Then, toast your cashews lightly in a large sauté pan. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using 1-2 T oil, lightly heat the garlic slices through (careful not to burn because this will make your whole dish taste bitter). Add the onions and sauté a few minutes, then add peppers and sauté until crisp-tender. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In remaining oil, brown chicken pieces until cooked through. Return vegetables to the pan. Add Hoisin Sauce to taste, thin out with a bit of water. Simmer and stir until all is well coated with sauce.
- Toss in cashews and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately in a bowl of rice!
To add to the excitement of our Chinese Cashew Chicken Rice Bowl Stir, I served them with paper umbrellas and fortune cookies! The boys gobbled up every single bite of their Stir dinners!
It’s so easy to use rice as a canvas for an easy dinner. When it comes to creating a Stir, all you need is your favorite protein, veggie, and sauce. Saute and serve over a bowl of rice for an instant classic in your home!
I’m already putting together another Rice Bowl Stir idea that I’ll share with you next month!
Find Della Rice online and at ShopRite stores!
This is a partnered post with Della Rice and I was compensated for sharing this recipe. All opinions are my own.