Do you get that same feeling I do in spring? That everything should just get flipped inside out and we should live outdoors bohemian-style? Yeah, I get a little drastic like that but… there ARE just some things that are more fun outdoors!
This is a sponsored post.
7 Things that are More Fun Outdoors!
- Watch a movie outdoors! Drive-in movies were all the rage for the longest time. And there’s still a few spots where you can view a movie from your car. However, with devices that can stream video, and portable projectors and screens, it’s relatively simple to throw down a blanket and load up a movie after dark.
- Eat! My boys ask daily if they can eat outside – breakfast, lunch, dinner. Even though the weather isn’t quite nice enough right now, they are already anticipating the fun of outdoor dining. Where you can let anything fall on the ground with impunity. Outdoor food is just so much fun!
- Read books. Kids want to be outdoors playing, and parents want to avoid the summer slide. Do both. Bring the books outdoors on a cart or wagon and have a book blanket party!
- Shop! Don’t get locked into the mall circuit. Hit up your local farmers market or craft fair for some great outdoor shopping. You’ll enjoy the fresh air and meet some great new artisan crafters and farmers.
- Do laundry. Who wants to be in the basement anyway? Bring that basket outside and hang up the wet clothing on a line or drying rack. Saves energy too.
- Shower. The kids will love this – let them suds up in their swimwear and rinse off with the hose before coming in for the night. Or if you’re handy, rig up a shower head behind the house somewhere.
- Exercise. A great outdoor workout beats the smelly gym any day! Find a shady spot to stretch, get off the treadmill and walk on a trail, take an outdoor martial arts or aerobics class.
When great weather arrives, everything’s more fun when you take it outside! Aside from increased fun, getting outside can have some health benefits: resets circadian rhythms, elevates mood, promotes physical activity, and gives you a little natural Vitamin D!
Stay healthy during your outdoor activities
Since you’ll be doing all these “more fun” things outdoors, make sure you have a plan for wellness in place. Many people suffer from allergies, especially this time of year and especially outdoors. Be sure to follow these safety tips too:
- Stock up on sunscreen.
- Keep a large water cooler filled to avoid dehydration.
- Have a current epi-pen for family members allergic to bees
- Refill prescriptions for inhalers or allergy medications
- Use phone apps to keep insurance information handy in case of emergencies while outdoors or away from home.