I saw a funny meme the other day: “Me in November: I’m going to make everyone I love a handmade gift for Christmas! … Me in December: I love two people.” Haha! So true! Because every handmade gift idea I’ve tried takes so long to make! But these embossed wooden shapes are an easy handmade gift idea – you can make a dozen in an afternoon!
These embossed wooden shapes make the perfect gift for teachers, coworkers, extended family, or as a keepsake for your kids.
I made these stars with gold embossed phrases from Christmas carols. But you could use other shapes, colors, and inspirational phrases, names, etc.
Or go with titles like “Best Teacher!” Or “Our First Christmas.” The only limit is the size of your shape.
I recommend a thicker shape so it will stand up on its own. However, I was thinking a thin wooden shape with a hole cut into it would be great for an ornament gift.
What about thinner shapes to decorate a wreath or other home decor item? See how many ideas come up when you start doing this easy embossed wooden shapes craft!?
Ok, let’s get our materials and I’ll tell you how it’s done.
Embossed wooden shapes craft tutorial
- An assortment of wooden shapes
- Clear stamping ink (Versamark works well; colors can work but may show through or change the color of your embossing powder)
- Embossing powder in colors of choice
- Alphabet stamps (sized to fit your shape size. The simple designs work best)
- Word / phrase stamps (optional)
- Embossing heat tool (in a serious pinch I have used an iron without steam but… Not recommended!)
- Pencil or masking/painter’s tape
- Small soft bristle paintbrush
- Lay out your materials.
- Plan what words and phrases you’ll put on your shape.
- Set out your alphabet stamps in order of use.
- Lightly pencil in lines on your shape to fit the size of the stamps. Be sure your line heights are the same between each line. (You can use the tape here but if your shape is small you may have to measure and stamp line by line).
- Measure and lightly pencil in the midline of the shape.
- *You’ll have to work the next step quickly and in sections so your ink doesn’t dry too fast.
- Stamp your first line, starting from the middle and moving out to the sides so your word is centered. Immediately shake a small amount of embossing powder over the wet ink. Tap off excess into a small tray to reuse.
- If any powder stuck to the shape where you don’t want it, carefully use the soft paint brush to remove it. Be careful not to brush off your letters as it is very hard to redo these once the powder is on.
- Use the heat tool according to its directions to melt the embossing powder into place.
- Continue this process on your next line of words. And repeat for additional embossed wooden shapes!
Quick and easy embossed wooden shapes for everyone!
You’ll be amazed at how quickly these start coming together. You’ll want to make a ton of them I’m sure!
Now you’ll have the perfect little handmade gift to give anybody. And you can personalize these to each person by choosing just the right phrase for them!
Tell me what you’d put on embossed wooden shapes of your own!
Shop for embossed wooden craft supplies
Tiparts 30 Pieces Wooden Star Shape Cutouts Crafts Natural Wood Hanging Ornaments with 3 Rolls Twines for Christmas Home Party Decoration (Star)Wood Star 3-3/4 inch, Natural Unfinished Wooden Star Cutout Shape (3-3/4Gocutouts Wooden Hearts Laser Cut Package of 25 Wood 3STAMPENDOUS SSC219 Small Typewriter AlphabetTsukineko VM000001 Full-Size VersaMark Pigment Inkpad, 3-Inch X 2-Inch, ClearRanger Embossing Powder, Super Fine GoldNicole- Multi-purpose Heat Gun Tool with Stand Is Perfect for Embossing, Drying Paint & More (Colors May Vary)
Monday 9th of September 2019
They are so lovely! I love the wooden hand made crafts.
Tuesday 1st of January 2019
Thanks for sharing these crafts. Wooden hand made gift ideas. I'll try some out this festive period.