Everyone’s into making bucket lists these days. And as I’m a list-lovin’ writer, I’m jumping right in! Here’s our Summer Bucket List for Kids & Families – everything is free or low cost (sometimes with library passes, etc). Where applicable, I’m providing Connecticut area links (to blog posts or websites) to give you more information! The $ sign in front signifies that you will/may have to spend a little money on this activity. *Italics indicate updates for 2014!
- $ Ride a carousel – I don’t know why but this is top on my list!
Check out The Carousel in Bushnell Park – for $1.00!(Update for 2014, the Bushnell Carousel is closed for repairs all summer! Boo!)
- Have a backyard campout (or check out the new Bear Creek Campground at Lake Compounce, perhaps?)
- Roast marshmallows
- Play at the beach (our favorites are Harkness Memorial State Park, Old Saybrook, and Hammonassett…so far! But we hope to check out Bluff Point this year, and we like to go to the local Eastbury Pond in Glastonbury!)
- Build a sand castle (see above!)
- Fly a kite – Hammonassett State Park should be great for this!
- Look for butterflies, ladybugs, and birds
- Hike a trail – we love the rails-to-trails easy walking trail in Bolton at Steele’s Crossing Road
- Visit the library – check out the awesome playroom at the Noah Webster Library in West Hartford
- Visit a museum – FREE Second Saturdays For Families at Wadsworth Atheneum
- Ride a pony – Krell Farm in Farmington has $5 pony rides
- $ Pick strawberries – we love the berry patches in South Glastonbury – either Rose’s Berry Farm or Belltown Hill Orchards and we recently discovered Pesce Farm in Bolton!
- $ Pick blueberries – see above!
- $ Attend a farmer’s market – we’re anxious to get up at 4 am to make it to the huge Hartford Regional Farmer’s Market!
- $ Go out to breakfast – our favorite spot is still First & Last Bakery, and we’ve also checked out Center Perk and Cosmic Omelet, both with lots to offer!
- Have fun at a cool playground
- Cool off at a splash pad – Wolcott Park is clean, and with a playground adjacent. Read a detailed review at Out and About Mom.
- Ride bikes – we’ll be giving the Tricycoo and the Cocoon by Joovy some action this summer! We like to ride on the paved trail at Great River Park, which is also a great place too…..
- Watch fireworks!! (July 12, 2014 at Great River Park!)
- Make s’mores.
- Read 100 books.
- Go on a picnic – Hill-stead Museum in Farmington, CT is lovely.
- Visit a kid’s museum* – we have enjoyed Kidcity and Stepping Stones, and don’t forget to check out West Hartford’s The NEW Children’s Museum.
- Go to the aquarium* – Maritime Aquarium of Norwalk is on our list*
- Visit the zoo* – Beardsley Zoo is small but good for a day trip.
- Swim at the local pool
- $ Run in a race – The Summer Grand Prix Cross Country was a fun series at Wickham Park.
- $ Eat ice cream - we are definitely checking out Cows and Cones over by New London.
- Go cloud watching - Elizabeth Park is a lovely spot.
- Make gigantic bubbles
- $ Go minigolfing
- Watch trains – We have yet to visit the Connecticut Trolley Museum
- Have a play date in the car (DVD player, snack)
- Attend an outdoor concert – Great River Park in East Hartford has free Summer Pops concerts
- Watch sailboats – I hear Mystic Seaport is a great spot
- Visit a farm – Try Fish Family Farm in Bolton.
- Watch a baseball game – Free Vintage baseball games in Hartford!
- Do science experiments in the kitchen
- Prepare and can homemade jams - you know, after you pick berries?
- …Daydream about more things to do!
*Free library passes usually available!
What’s on your Summer Bucket List?
If you’re in CT, what do you recommend?