I’m back with another home decor post – I’ll tell you, one good home decor deserves another, right?
Ever since I redid my little bedroom corner into a cozy reading nook this past winter, I’ve been tackling all sorts of small (and not-so-small) spaces in my home! The boys playroom, toy storage, etc. I guess once you get inspired, the ball just keeps rolling!
Today I want to share with you a few tips I’ve learned from working with Raymour & Flanigan furniture, and my own experience reinventing my small space! Maybe these tips will inspire you to carve out a special spot in your home, reinvent a closet or office, or take advantage of outdoor space more effectively!
Tips for Decorating Small Spaces
1. Choose a piece of interest. I was planning to just add a couch to our bedroom and call it a reading spot. But really look around and you’ll find there’s so many options for seating, that you don’t have to go with your first thought. Choosing a double chaise lounge was different and adds a surprising (and comfortable) element to our room. Plus, we can ALL fit on it, unlike a small couch!
2. Items with dual purpose are your friend. Instead of two side tables, I chose nesting ottomans. They can work as a footrest, a stool, or even a small table to hold books or coffee cups! If I’d gotten JUST a table… well… that’s all I’d have, right?
3. Use texture. I admit, I can go for plain and simple a lot, merely because I think it’s more “functional” and will swap out easier with other things. While that’s somewhat true, too much plain just gets boring! I mean, unless extreme minimalism is your thing…Add detail with textured fabrics, metal embellished pieces, or glossy picture frames or lamps.
4. Add repeated contrast. When you add a contrast, add it in more than one place to bring the look together. A metallic lamp and shiny metallic threading in my pillows brightens up the softer fabric upholstery. Circular ottomans and a round rug soften the square edges in the rest of the pieces.
5. Ask for outside help. I really believe even the most creative person benefits from hearing outside ideas. I got so many tips and ideas while shopping at Raymour & Flanigan – and the friendly staff there is also up on new products that I hadn’t seen when browsing online, so it’s good to ask, “what else would you suggest?” and see what other ideas come up! That’s how I ended up with the very cool steamer trunk style lamp table!
6. Accent with personalized pieces. Make sure your space looks like “you” by adding some of your own flair – perhaps a DIY item to hang on the wall, a hand-crocheted quilt, some of your kids’ artwork. Bringing a little “you” into the setting will make the new spot seem just like home right away!
What are your tips for decorating small spaces?
WIN IT: Share a tip and be entered to win a $500 Gift Card to Raymour & Flanigan (can be used online too!). Enter in the form below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This post is in coordination with Raymour & Flanigan, and I received no compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.